Tuesday 1 June 2010

"Adjust the bass, and let the Alpine blast..."

'Happy June' everyone... and 'Happy Summertime' I guess!

As summer slowly approaches, so do the series of radio station events. In the UK, we’ve already had BBC Radio 1’s One Big Weekend, which showcased the might (and resources) of the BBC in all its glory. And a great job they did too.

Next is the turn of Capital FM’s Summertime Ball, which takes place on Sunday 6th June at Wembley Stadium. The line-up is great. Usher, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Cheryl Cole, Ke$ha and “many many more!” as they say...

Here’s a nice thing I noticed that dropped into my email box...



It’s from Capital FM, but basically a promo message from the sponsors ASOS.com, which is a leading UK online clothes and fashion retailer. The email invites me to get the Summertime Ball look and buy the clothes to make me look more like my idols! I can then choose the Usher look, or the Beiber look or even the Dizzee look!

Now, if you’re 15 and going along to this gig, then you’d probably want to look your best and get some new clothes etc, so it’s a great piece of direct marketing from the show sponsor to encourage listeners to visit the ASOS.com store and buy some new clobber. (Maybe it’s a week too late allowing for delivery times etc?)

The email links through to the Capital FM site and then I can click on the item I like, and it takes my directly to the ASOS.com site where I can buy it.

Perhaps they could have gone a step further and put together a mini Summertime Ball section on ASOS.com with all the different looks and clothes. There is a festival section mentioning everything from Lollapalooza to Roskilde, but no obvious link with Capital and the Summertime Ball except for a competition to win tickets which is tucked away somewhere. However, the sponsor presence on capitalfm.com is really strong.

So – there we go. A nice example of offering a sponsor some ‘added value’ and linking the sponsor of an event with the actual event itself in a clear and relateable way.

Just waiting for my Justin Beiber style “Jersey Zip Through Hoody” to arrive and I’ll be all set for Sunday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds to me that they STILL don't have no friggin clue what they are doing out of FM…what you just described is very basic email marketing that REST OF THE WORLD did when it was 1996 - the magic in this case was "html embedded email" which is obviosly very very basic (and not very clever choice) in 2010.
Overall probably one of the WORST choices of maketing platforms and here's why:
- people have very tight 'junk mail' filters especially when the sender isn't "known"
and contains active links.
- it directs the listener away from main thing (event) and he/she NEVER comes back.
I can think of at least 7 better ways of doing better job with ASOS so they benefit more but more importantly I get my brand/event awarenes out and 100% tracking data of usage during the whole time.
But one last and the biggest point where the whole thing shouts FAILURE is this: it's NOT PERSONAL