Tuesday 2 February 2010

"Solid Gold?" Solid crap more like...

Time for a complaint! Please indulge me. If you live in the UK, you'll be familiar with the 'Halifax' and their track record at producing particularly annoying TV ads.

If you don't live in the UK... be thankful that you're not exposed to them, but they esentially use real members of staff in their ads, mainly singing and dancing like cretins. The Halifax is a UK High Street bank, and if there's one good reason not to place your money with that particular bank, it's their marketing campaigns.

Their new TV ad is one that's particularly annoyoing for people working in the radio industry. Take a look...



Is there any wonder that sometimes 'radio' as a medium (especially commercial radio) fights to get itself taken more seriously when the image that's portrayed is the one you've just watched? It really is just the most horrible depiction of a breakfast show I think I've ever seen. I know it's just a make-believe station, and it's just an ad, and it's pretend and all that... but it's just utter crap!!! (Or am I wrong and it's the best advert for working in radio there is?) Do they really think this will attract customers?

If at a dinner party someone asks me what I do, and I say I work in radio... and they say 'Is it just like Halifax ad?' I think I may commit a serious crime punishable by a long custodial sentence.

And they've tarnished a fantastic record too with their shoddy advert. Shame on you Spandau Ballet for allowing that to be licenced!!

Complaint over. Normal service will now resume! ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All true, but at least they made the studio look vaguely in the region of reality. Not like that Max Beesley 'Talk To Me' thing on ITV1 - that was horrendous. There he was, chain smoking in the studio, playing with some some yamaha digital music production desk or something. If only I'd had a penny for every time I'd lit up a ciggy while on air...

Anonymous said...

My guess is that 60-70% of people can't tell mono from stereo. My point being that they probably cant tell the difference between this and commercial radio. To you it looks like a parody - but you know that ordinary people could mistake this as being real. If I was a radio consultant I wouldn't be mad - I would be ashamed.